Thanksgiving. It’s my all-time favorite holiday. I’ve written about it over the years quite a lot (here, here, here, here, here, and here). I love that it’s a time for our souls to soak in humility, as we consider God’s abundant mercy, and it’s a time for our souls to be lifted up with joy, as we consider God’s infinite kindness.
I am reminded each year as I see or hear about families arguing with one another over thanksgiving dinner preparations that true thanksgiving does not come from the measure of abundance that we receive, but from the condition of our hearts to receive the blessings that we have!
I’m not going to write a long post here about Thanksgiving- the above posts still articulate what I have to say anyway- rather, I want to offer thanksgiving to God for His wonderful blessings!
- Jesus Christ, my Savior, my Lord and King, my Shepherd, and my Friend! I do not deserve You, I was nothing when You found me, I am no one today, but I am Yours- all that I am is Yours!
- The longsuffering kindness and mercy of God! Without the exceeding greatness of Your mercy, I would be consumed in condemnation! You bear with my weaknesses and infirmities, You forgive my failures, and You teach me to overcome!
- My Father’s discipline! Without Your chastening I surely would have gone far astray and been lost in the outer darkness! But You bring me in and teach me Your ways!
- New life! The wonderful blessing of Naomi Elizabeth, our baby girl! In a year with many troubles, God has given Mary and I a powerful blessing!
- A virtuous wife! A treasured jewel, my wife is one of God’s most amazing blessings! That He would send her to me just blows my mind! She is patient, meek, sweet, kind, and understanding. She is my wife!
- Reconciliation! This year I’ve seen reconciliation worked in my life with brothers and sisters I did not think I would see reconciliation with again. Again, the Lord has taught me the value of “gentleness” and “peace”, that now I see that anyone who does not yet have these has not yet matured in the mind of Christ.
- New Fellowship! I rejoice as God has given us fellowship with new brothers and sisters in various places all over! They are relationships I treasure deeply and am so thankful that God has shown me more of His family!
- Daily bread! Our Father provides our daily bread, a miracle I do not understand, but I rejoice that He has not let us want for nourishment!
- Revelation! A great joy to my soul is the revelation God has taught my heart. Through infirmity, trial, the Word, and travel, God has taught me His will, and I thank Him!
- The future! Because of Jesus Christ, my future is secure, and my hope safe! I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know, whatever it may bring, Jesus Christ is there to receive me and keep me safe.
Heb 13:15 Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.